Search this Site

Subscribe

email iconSign up for an email newsletter that lets you know when a new Post has been made. Will be sent at 8:00 a.m. any day with a new post. Unsubscribe at any time. Name optional.  Click here to subscribe.

Comments Policy

Comments that include personal attacks or slander or completely off topic will be deleted. Criticize the argument, not the person. Your real name is not required, but to distinguish between posters - a unique name is best. But do enter something.  If you don't, your comment will be deleted

Latest Comments

  • J Andrew Hall said More
    "A Heritage Christmas - Celebrating Canada 150" New website up at
    21 hours ago.
  • Newbie said More
    Cobourg is hot......Ontario is not. Thanks to our beach, pier, Marina , and parks! 1 week ago.
  • James Doherty said More
    Anyone know the theme this year. Would like to get started on a float. 2 weeks ago.
  • Dubious said More
    Langevin Bridge in Calgary is being renamed to "Reconciliation Bridge".... 2 weeks ago.
  • Frenchy said More
    “In a presentation to Council at their next Committee of the Whole Meeting on... 2 weeks ago.
  • Frenchy said More
    Dunno, are there young children and Moms with baby carriages on those sidewalks too? 2 weeks ago.
  • Lorry said More
    Does that apply to young children on their way to school along Burnham Street? 3 weeks ago.
  • ben said More
    Tell that to the stupd woman who nearly impaled herself as she rode into my... 3 weeks ago.

Login Form

Registering and logging in is recommended but not necessary for commenting

Login and edit your own posts.

Site Features

See this page for more about this site including its features.

Cobourg News Archive - the Cobourg News Blog has moved

New Posts for Cobourg News are now only on CobourgBlog.com.

Emails advising of new posts will direct you to the Cobourg News Blog - that's the new home of Cobourg News.  Posts prior to September 30, 2017 remain on CobourgInternet.com. Comments will only be viewed and possible here until October 31st, 2017.  News here (on Cobourg Internet) is now an archive.

Go to CobourgBlog.com

Well maybe no new interchange for 25 years but these things get planned a long way ahead. The area in the east of Cobourg - north of King and East of the CCC all the way to the north boundary is the next area to be developed after the New Amherst and West Park developments are completed. Tentative ideas for this area assume that there will be another 401 interchange around Nagle. That's off Danforth near the eastern boundary of Cobourg. Any interchange would be paid for by Cobourg and not the Provincial Ministry of Transportation (MOT) but planning is already starting.

Although actual construction will likely not start for 25 years, the MOT will shortly start working on the Environmental Assessment (EA) for the stretch of 401 from Division to Colborne for an eventual 6 or even 8 lanes. They offered Cobourg the option of tacking on the EA for the Nagle road interchange to their contract. The cost would be $294,060 compared to about $600K to $700K if it were stand alone. At the next Council meeting, Council will be asked to approve spending this now to take advantage of the savings. Most of the cost (75%) will be recovered from Development charges but the other 25% would be from the 2018 Capital budget.

East Secondary planAccording to the memo from staff:

The Cobourg East Community (Area "C") is a 570 ha tract of land in the northeast sector of the Town of Cobourg. The Cobourg East Community Secondary Plan envisages this area to ultimately be a compact, urban community for approximately 16,500 people and 6,500 dwellings, in addition to having employment and non-residential development.

To accommodate the traffic generated by this growth it is anticipated that a new interchange on Hwy 401 at Nagle Rd will be required.

For map at right, click to enlarge or download printable version here.

The Environmental Assessment will look at alternatives for the interchange location that would include:

  • At Nagel Road
  • West of Nagel Road (Greer Road)
  • East of Nagel Road (Jarvis Road)

The EA includes preliminary engineering, a study of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems, species at risk, archaeology and built heritage. Once the option is selected it would become part of the Preliminary Design Report for the Highway 401 Widening Study.

Links

Addendum - July 17, 2017

At the Council meeting today, the proposal from MOT was accepted so Cobourg will be paying for the EA for the interchange.  The reason for the 25% split was explained - it's effectively charging 75% of the cost to the new (future) development and 25% to existing taxpayers.

 

Google Ad