This page attempts to provide a summary of available information about agencies and organizations that provide help on homelessness, legal matters, income and help with children. Since the County is responsible for Social services, they have a similar page Housing Help Northumberland. However, this page summarizes their lists and organizes the information differently. It also allows searching (see box at right). Not all sources of help are listed but this is a good start.
- Temporary Housing - includes:
- Cornerstone Family Violence Prevention Centre (facebook) An emergency shelter for individual women and families seeking shelter and/or help due to family violence. A 24-hour support line is also available.
- Transition House - Next Step Program. This housing program accepts a limited number of people experiencing homelessness. It is a short-term housing option and operates on an application basis.
- Rent Geared to Income (Subsidized Housing) makes sure that a person or family does not pay more than 30% of its gross monthly income on rent. If you are eligible, your name will go on a waiting list when you apply. Waits are 3 to 10 years depending on unit size and location.
- Ontario Works – County web page - help in emergency situations like Covid-19
- Community outreach - personal advice on where to get help
Help with Children
- Child Care Subsidy - Also lists of Child Care Centres
- Special Needs - the County has partnered with Five Counties Children's Centre
- Ontario Disability Support program – Provincial program
- Northumberland Community Legal Centre - provides free legal services to low-income residents of Northumberland County.
- Steps to Justice - A Guide to Law - a web site with legal help.
Help for Landlords and Tenants
- Rent Smart - The RentSmart model is designed to build a common understanding between tenants and landlords, leading to a conflict free tenancy.
- LandLord and Tenant Board - The role of the LTB is to resolve disputes between landlords and tenants through mediation or adjudication, resolve eviction applications from co-ops, provide information to landlords and tenants about their rights and responsibilities under the Residential Tenancies Act. A Provincial Agency.
- Alcoholics and Narcotics Anonymous meetings – list with dates and locations
- Fourcast - Addictions Counselling
Community Care - Provides support programs to seniors and adults with disabilities, allowing them to remain independent within their own homes and communities. Programs range from meals on wheels, support for caregivers, wellness programs, hospice support, transportation and more..
Other County Social Assistance
The County is also heavily involved in providing the Golden Plough Long Term Care home - it's a significant part of the County budget. They are also heavily involved with managing (and building) affordable Housing.
If the above doesn't help, you can try going to the County's main web page and searching or try using their version of the same thing as this page.